Moving house? Here's some handy Moving Tips
A bit of preparation during the days leading up to the day when you're moving house will go a long way
towards making the day itself a whole lot less stressful ...
- For lighter items, use a few bigger boxes rather than lots of
- For heavy items (books etc), use sturdy smaller
- Tape top and bottom of your boxes, no open lids
- Label your boxes, mention where they have to go (‘kitchen”,
- Fragile goods need to be padded
- Mirrors, glass table tops, paintings etc need to be bubble
wrapped or wrapped in blankets and secured.
- Drain pot plants well in advance, wrap the base in plastic
bags, and put them in a box.
Preparing for the move
- Keep the entrance, hallways and interior doors clear so we can
move the big stuff (beds, couches, tables, desks, appliances) out first.
- Uncouple the dishwasher and washing machine the day before the
move, and let them drain.
- If you’re in an apartment block and everything has to be moved
via lifts or stairs, please take into account that this may take quite a bit of additional time. If there
is a lift, please try and reserve the lift for your move.
- To ensure a quick and smooth move, please make sure that beds
are stripped, everything is in boxes or bags, and you are done packing by the time the movers
- Try and book a parking space close to the entrance for the
truck (both at your old and new address).
- If you’re in a complex or cluster, please check with the
manager if there are any height or weight restrictions. Depending on your requirements, and any access
restrictions, we'll either send a 3 tonne or 4 a tonne truck. All our trucks need a minimum height
clearance of 3.5 metres.
Want to do more?
Cling wrap or bubble wrap your furniture to give it an additional
layer of protection. Even though we use blankets to protect your furniture during transport, cling or bubble
wrap will also protect your items during on- and offloading. For fragile items that may crack or chip, it's
best to not only use bubble wrap, but to wrap them in cardboard as well.
If you have the time and want to ensure your move goes as smooth and quickly as possible, it always helps if you can
dismantle and move your furniture closer to whichever exit the movers will be using, and to
stack all the boxes, bags and miscellaneous items closer to the exit as well, so that when our
movers arrive, all they have to is move your stuff out and load the truck.
Make sure to leave enough space for the movers to get past all
these items, so don't block your doors, hallways etc.
See the photos below ...
Call the Man on 011 875 2365, or fill in the
form top left, and let us show you our smooth